Divorces and separations are stressful situations. These circumstances are made worse when a non-custodial parent doesn’t pay child support. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to get what’s owed to you. Plus, if you need help navigating the legal system, you can always turn to a child support lawyer in Fort Myers.

Know the Legal Penalties

In 1984, Congress passed the Child Support Enforcement Act. This legislation requires the non-custodial parent to pay child support. It also lists penalties for the parents who fail to pay. These include the following:

  • Garnishment of wages
  • Freezing bank accounts
  • Loss of driver’s license
  • Denial of passport
  • Liens against real estate or vehicles
  • Serving time in jail

Provide Proof

Unpaid child support is referred to as a child support arrearage. To get what is due to you, you must have the right documentation to support your claim. Below is the type of evidence the court needs to see:

  • Receipts of what hasn’t been paid
  • Attempts to collect
  • Non-custodial parent’s knowledge of court-ordered child support
  • Proof of father’s paternity

A child support lawyer in Fort Myers can help you gather the correct documents. Based on the evidence you provide, the judge determines the amount of the payments.

 Child Support Collection Steps

There are steps you can take to collect past due child support payments. A child support lawyer in Fort Myers can guide you through the process. Please contact the Law Offices of Shawn Seliger today for more information and a free phone consultation at (239) 333-0077. You can also fill out the online contact form.